other meetings this year
- Meeting starts 09:00
- Agenda approved.
- Minutes of past meeting, 8 May 2013, reviewed and approved with one minor change.
- Old business:
- Matters arising from minutes: nothing noted
- Project updates:
- Upcoming classes and events: nothing noted.
- Series of follow-up emails started.
- Fai & Gerald left a nice pair of boots behind. Jan will notify, Jen will take them off the porch and put a note on them, so they don't get appropriated.
- Rudy declined an Action Group packet.
- EcoNest cottage: no change.
- Health and safety concerns and updates:
- We are in receipt of a letter from WorkSafe BC about the death of a farm worker from an unstable load. Jan will circulate.
- Tony: be careful when backing the tractor around the swales! Suggests a few stakes be placed to help locate the swale edge until the high grass alongside can be cut.
- Tony: concerned about children around working equipment.
- Children should not be within five metres of any operating machine.
- Children should not play on non-operating machines.
- Hydraulics should be relaxed when not in use, so children won't get under them.
- Rudy took scrap metal in so it is no longer a hazard.
- New business: nothing noted.
- Review arrivals/departures, guests and apprentices:
- Farm meeting:
- Old items to track:
- Jan and others: re-arrange the greenhouse tables in preparation for massive numbers of starts -- in progress.
- Tent caterpillars: Jan removed from all but one willow along front. Need to debug remaining heavy infestation in one willow, plus big apple tree. DONE
- Rudy has finished grass removal around greenhouse -- now need to load it with gravel.
- Discussion about purpose and completion: is it about drainage, or grass control? If drainage, needs to be deeper. If grass control, it will grow through the grass. Hold put on purchasing gravel.
- Jan/Jen: begin making horsetail/nettle tea to keep powdery mildew and other fungus down.
- Rudy/Jen/India/Brooklyn will begin weeding the two strawberry beds, and will capture nice looking babies for sale in pots.
- Prep area for potato cages. DONE
- Tony/Jen/Jan will work up a couple beds in the west garden by hand and plant potatoes in them. DONE in cages.
- India/Brooklyn: de-taping cardboard for sheet mulching.
- Jen will investigate making some nice goat name tags for their collars.
- Jan teach Jen on soil block mix. DONE
- Fix big rototiller -- won't run for more than a minutes or so; investigate fuel blockage.
- Jan train and check out Tony on machinery. DONE
- Jan investigate spiders in soil blocks. Discussion about what they might be. Jen will show Rudy.
- Jen/Jan investigate using small greenhouse as a food dehydrator.
- Complete irrigation plumbing in greenhouse after locating and levelling tables. In process as tables are positioned and levelled.
- Work first set of beds for direct seeding. DONE
- Direct seed: carrots, lettuce, beets.
- Tony orientation on tools. DONE
- Boost priority of fixing Vanagon.
- New items:
- Goat high-tension fencing.
- Finish scything east and west rooms in greenhouse.
- Rototill east and west rooms in greenhouse.
- Chipping -- Jan check mill for cedar bark for prop room floor.
- Cane berries, weeding and drainage.
- Work party Friday, pot luck Friday evening.
- Old items to track:
- Plans for the week: (covered above)
- Confirmed next meeting: Next residents' meeting: Jan facilitator, Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 09:00. 'NOTE new day and time!
- Meeting adjourned, 09:46.
- Respectfully submitted, Jan Steinman 04:48, 15 May 2013 (CEST)
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus