other meetings this year
- Meeting starts 10:05
- Agenda approved.
- Minutes of previous meeting, 2012-10-17, reviewed and approved.
- Discussion about what to do with sugar beets for storage. Traditionally done in a sand bed. Jan talked about building boxes in the Ikea building.
- Old business:
- To do not reviewed.
- Calendar not reviewed.
- Project updates:
- Upcoming classes and events: Jan will follow up with Jen about Reiki class.
- Recruiting: vidchat with Roger & Michelle from North Carolina. Peter from UK reports a new granddaughter born on Salt Spring.
- Goat shed II: Need to get hay feeders built - Done!
- Commercial propagation greenhouse: no changes.
- Emergency power: no changes. Time to order materials, notably the 150' of #10x3 rubber cable.
- Yellow house suite: some stuff moved out in prep for demolition. Jan needs help getting large stereo system out and over to classroom.
- Water system maintenance:
- Camlock connectors to be welded this week - delayed.
- Fill the cistern hole next to well to prevent/reduce surface water infiltration - in process.
- Health & safety: nothing noted.
- New business:
- Clean up classroom for Tuesday Market meeting.
- Yearling doe available for free, do we want her? Agreed to take her. Taking ferry to Swartz Bay, walk on.
- Farm meeting
- Need to winterize Ben's trailer.
- Agreed to get firewood from Gerry -- Carol said any time will work; call first.
- Market staffing - Saturday: Ben open, Jan relieve.
- Ben continuing to prepare to have goats in the East Field:
- Pull and winterize the seed sugar beets.
- ACTION: Clear the packing shed and/or make it inaccessible to goats and move to against fence. (Ben Corno)
Will use mill slabs for skids, then pull up to fence with tractor.
- Relocate large gate. Rudy has found cement.
- Use the cultivator on existing beds, then cover-crop.
- Install person gate where large gate is currently. Needs a post and brace.
- Harvest anything we want to keep. (Ben) - will be done this week.
- Quinoa heads to Carol, who will process - this Friday. (Carol) Harvested, yet to process outdoors.
- Harvest sugar beets. Leeks to stay in ground
- Need to look at place to plant garlic in east field - beds have been determined.
- Need to investigate cover cropping. Inventory our seeds and determine what to buy. Seeds purchased.
- Find some "goat toys" via online lists or Rudy salvage.
- Look into pruning big pear trees - weather dependent - possibly next Wednesday - most productive trees first.
- Pull and hang tomatoes - started.
- Build holders in Ikea building for storage of sugar beets.
- Rudy looking for way to process lanolin -- has free supply of crude lanolin.
- Saturday - last one for the year.
- Tuesday - reassess on Monday.
- Plans for next week:
- Rudy: seek goat toys for East Field (especially large spools).
- Carol: make Goji-Goldenberry_salsa today.
- Carol: prune pear trees next Wednesday.
- Jan: chicken feed from Ellis on Saturday.
- Confirmed next meeting: Next residents' meeting: Wednesday, Jan facilitatorj31October 2012, 09:00.
- Meeting adjourned, 11:06
- Respectfully submitted, Carol Wagner 11:07 24 October 2012 (CEST)
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus