Minutes:20180809

From MediaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search


For guidelines on the editing of minutes, please see the page on the responsibilities of the recorder.

Members Meeting

  1. Meeting begins 16:09
  2. Previous meeting minutes (July 16) approved.
  3. Accomplishments
    • Mites have declined, but not eliminated. Use some white diatomaceous earth. (Lauren) DONE!
    • Emitters and punch tool were found in a bag in the garage; don't know how they got there. (Jan) DONE!
    • Fabricate new punch tool. (Jan) DONE! the day before finding the old one!
    • Having some problems with eggplant, curling leaves and blossom drop. Cleome will research… Destroyed bad ones. (Cleome) DONE!
    • Move black trailer over to goat trailer for filling. (Jan) DONE!
    • Put new wheel on NE pasture gate. (Jan) DONE! Both gate wheels screwed into place so they cannot be easily removed.
    • Look for the little picture cards we used for starts; need to re-use for describing tomatoes. (Everyone) FOUND!
  4. Market
    1. This week's market staffing: Jan and Lauren Saturday, Jan and Cleome Tuesday.
    2. Research and procure re-coating market tent. (Jan)
    3. Planning for marketing soap at Tuesday Market, since they won't let us sell it outright. Make a sign. Photos taken and ready. (Jan)
  5. Eggs
    • Perhaps Geo can take over some of Lauren's tasks, such as taking care of the big birds. (Kate)
    • Need to clip wings of some birds that are flying out. (Jan & Kate)
    • Foxglove for leg bands to identify chickens to get rid of. (Jan)
    • First batch of new pullets and ducklings will be laying in September. (Cleome)
    • New ducks are probably ready to go in with the older ones. This will relieve a lot of the "water babysitting" required in our fowl nursery.
    • Where to put new chicks? Not ready to go out with older ones yet. (Cleome)
  6. Fruit
    • Blueberries appear to have water stress. We should add emitters on short hoses, do better distribute water. (Jan)
    • Change blueberry emitters from 1 litre/hr to 4 by changing flags. (Jan)
    • Can we get more trees from Harry to replace the goose-damaged ones? (Jan)
    • Orchard irrigation: keep filling buckets, rather than completing irrigation system, until we can fill holes in the pattern. (Cleome)
    • Tayberry canes need to be pruned. (all)
    • Pick seckel pears. (Jan)
    • Pick neighbours's apples (Philipp, Lena)
    • Blackberry picking (Philipp, Lena)
  7. Greenhouse
    1. Cherry tomatos to Country Grocer tomorrow chicken bands (Jan)
    2. Need replacement eye bolts installed. Will start out doing as-needed, with a push to replace many or all before winter. (Jan)
    3. Fix North purlin in East room. (Jan)
    4. Patch holes. (Cleome, Jan)
      • Higher priority: patch or fix hole in west end, through which chickens are entering the greenhouse. (Kate)
    5. Need second fan installed in west end of greenhouse before powdery mildew season in fall, probably THIS WEEK. (Jan)
    6. Scratch infusing horsetail for powdery mildew treatment in favour of baking soda and soap treatment (Cleome)
    7. Fabricate side retaining cord clips out of the found wiggle-wire. We need as many as a third replaced (96), due to the stress of using them to support eagle-catchers over the chicken runs. (Jan)
  8. Dairy
    1. Hay grinder recommended by Cleome for mixing winter feed, since the late hay harvest is not going to be nutritious. (Cleome)
      • Jan resistant to the expense. Continue researching prices. Try to find used one. 3-point would be great, but not if too expensive. Cleome will check prices in Linden. (Cleome)
      • Need to have this figured out by November, when feeding season begins.
    2. Running out of cheese storage. Need to clean up and move one from farm store to the sewing room, next to the fridge already there. (Jan)
    3. Fix west hedgerow fence — it's not hot. (Cleome, Jan)
    4. Check hooves and trim (Jan) ongoing, Whitey trimmed. Commit to one day a week to trim.
    5. Clean goat trailer. (Philipp)
  9. Infrastructure & Admin
    1. Decided not to pay down mortgage.
    2. Class B conversion continued refinement. Jan to "run the numbers" at par and 75% for review.
    3. Need product chalkboard for house, instead of the lame whiteboard. (Philipp)
    4. Need new "presence" sign for market tent. Suggested painted 1/4" plywood. (Kate, Philipp)
    5. Kate wants more structure for volunteers: keep up with job jar, milking plan, market staffing, partial prep for Tuesday Market on Monday evening (such as folding down bags), baby chicks ducks water (put on job jar) need to have everyone at breakfast at 8 for morning informal meeting each day.
    6. Cleome to take saw in for a tune-up. (Cleome)
    7. Need co-op VISA card that can be used at US Costco. (Jan)
    8. Cleome will provide a written request for draw on her revolving loan for US Costco purchases until then. (Cleome)
    9. Pither suit:
      • requested to go in camera at 16:51
      • completed in camera meeting at 16:53; reviewed progress and agreed to proceed with current efforts. Jan will phone lawyer for update.
    10. Get new rubber stamp for product bags and such (Jan)
    11. Catch up on tax filings (Jan): sorting receipts in prep for entry
    12. Get new computer set up as web server (Jan) ongoing
  10. Soap
    • Behind, getting behinder. Need to check brewery. (Cleome)
  11. Value Added
    1. Need an "info sheet" for preserves; large, laminated one and perhaps a hand-out to drop in the bag with every purchase. (Cleome, Jan)
  12. Education
    1. In touch with Bruce and his mother, who will arrive in Seattle on August 23, then touring Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria, before reaching here a few days before Bruce's orientation on September 1.
      • Chantel informs that the orientation is actually Sept 3; Jan will inform Bruce.
    2. Ricardo bailed to be closer to Ganges.
    3. New student, Wenqi Peng, placed with us, but we have no arrival info yet.
  13. Cleome's move: will keep on agenda, but deferred until after market season.
    1. Fix VVG (Jan)
      • Remove pump and send it in
  14. Off-Island Shopping:
    1. Need to deliver VVG pump to repair place.
    2. Need paper cups for berries from Warehouse Club.
    3. Need bags for market.
    4. Need more 250ml canning jars
  15. Comings and Goings
    • Gary Schofield came and stayed an extra day. Helped update the Re-zoning Plan, and will help update the Business Plan. Had a good time, and said he'd be back.
    • Philipp and Lena off for backpacking; back no later than Sunday, through the 21st.
    • Cleome took an emergency trip (and back) to Richland, WA, to see her step mother, who is gravely ill.
    • Anne-Sophie left on Sunday, Aug 5. We will miss her! You are welcome back any time, Anne-Sophie!
      • Left glowing positive review on WWOOF.ca.
    • Kelvin returned Sunday, Aug 5.
    • David Combden, who had agreed to be here two weeks, is a virtual no-show. Left negative feedback on WWOOF.ca. Jan is furiously looking for replacements.
    • Kate leaving Friday 09:50 until Monday 5:30.
    • Cleome to Moly & Quentin's 70th anniversary party on Friday, Aug 17th, back the following Sunday.
    • Jimena, volunteer from Mexico, due here on Friday the 17th, although we have not had confirmation yet.
    • Fabiola, volunteer from Mexico, is staying in Fulford, and has been here to help several days a week.
  16. Health and Safety Concerns
    1. Check on the motorhome electrical; Leonard got a bad shock at one point. (Jan)
    2. Continued heat predicted. Stay hydrated and be careful in the heat!
  17. New business
    • Living room re-arranged to once again be our seasonal produce centre; table fixed.
  18. Next meeting set for Thursday, 16nd, at 16:00.
  19. Check-out: Kate frustrated and challenged, feels uncomfortable moving back into the house from Geo's trailer, feels tension is thick. Hesitant all along. Feels like things would fall apart without Cleome. Concern about Cleome burn-out. Extended discussion ensued, in which Jan and Cleome assured Kate that things were much stabler than they seemed, and that they had each endured higher stress levels than current. Cleome explained that the current push was her plan to boost revenue by 40%, and that things "would not fall apart" should we choose to go back to a more relaxed pace. Jan glad to have regular meetings again, to help clear the air.
  20. Meeting adjourned 17:35
  • respectfully submitted, Jan Steinman 22:53, 9 August 2018 (PDT)

Share your opinion


blog comments powered by Disqus
Personal tools
Get our newsletter!
Name:
Email Address:

disturbance
entry points
help (off site)
Environmental jobs, green volunteering, good work! Powered by the wind! This server and other
EcoReality operations
are 100% wind powered.
Powered by Mac OS X Powered by Mac MediaWiki Powered by MariaDB Powered by Valentina Studio Pro