other meetings this year
- Meeting starts 10:38
- Agenda approved.
- Minutes of last meeting, 26 October 2013, and the meeting of 05 October 2013 reviewed and approved.
- Old business:
- New business:
- Review arrivals/departures, guests and apprentices:
- Landis chose to leave Thursday, largely because she needs better facilities for her pets. She plans to stay in touch and come to work parties.
- Mindy will take Chris to Vancouver Airport on Tuesday, 5th, after morning milking.
- Ron away on 3rd for a day or two.
- Cleome arriving Friday, 8th, and leaving Monday, 10th.
- We may need milking help December 31, as Mindy will leave before Jan arrives back from Michigan.
- Mindy to leave on or before December 1, but can re-enter, probably within the following week.
- Jan & Cleome to Michigan, Dec 24-31.
- Farm meeting:
- Rudy harvested a load of sunchokes, and will bring some to the yellow house for processing.
- Winter gardening desires: kale, collards, sweet onions (for spring starts), mescluns, raab broccoli, spinach, mache.
- Items to track (rough priority order):
- Make tomato sauce from last of tomatoes.
- Juice last of cukes.
- Prep area and plant garlic.
- Inventory our seed collection and start to think about orders.
- Get fuel for tractor and clean fuel filter.
- Get at least one chain saw working and continue harvesting wood.
- Make mini-root cellar for potatoes.
- Clean up farm store area in prep for construction.
- Empty freezer in farm store, feed to chickens.
- Clean up classroom and cloakroom.
- Harvest pumpkins after first frost.
- Harvest rose hips after first hard frost.
- Continue monitoring the big pear tree and pick when it begins to really fall.
- Set up two cages in greenhouse for pear storage.
- Replace water timer in west room of greenhouse.
- Jan contact Gavin about putting manure on fields he leases from us.
- Pull up and store field irrigation in prep for winter cover crops.
- Get cedar slabs and bark from Shane for projects and path mulch.
- Plant winter garden in greenhouse where the cukes were.
- Build bigger planters for Physalis. Shoot for 8' to 9', depending on what we can get from Shane.
- Chipping -- Jan check mill for cedar bark for prop room floor. (Jan Steinman)
- Jan and others: re-arrange the greenhouse tables.
- Complete irrigation plumbing in greenhouse after locating and levelling tables. In process as tables are positioned and levelled.
- Fix sickle bar and do mowing.
- Need to move the glass canning jars out of the Yellow House parking lot before they get broken.
- Find a place to put jars!
- Cane berries, moving to west fence of west garden -- wait for fall dormancy.
- Fix big rototiller -- won't run for more than a minutes or so; investigate fuel blockage -- back burner, winter project.
- Investigate using small greenhouse as a food dehydrator.
- Fix dining room ceiling.
- Tracked items recently completed:
- Move chickens. DONE!
- Harvest last of basil and turn into pesto. DONE!
- Take out cukes after last harvest, probably in one week. DONE!
- Harvest potatoes from cages. DONE!
- Put a second tarp on hay barn. DONE!
- Confirmed next meeting: Next residents' meeting: Jan facilitator, Saturday, 9 November 2013, 09:00. Note new meeting time, due to earlier milking due to Daylight Savings Time.
- Meeting adjourned, 10:14
- Respectfully submitted, Jan Steinman 20:51, 2 November 2013 (CET)
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus