other meetings this year
- Meeting starts 10:38
- Max and Amy leave after hearing about today's work plans.
- Agenda approved.
- Minutes of last meeting, 19 October 2013, reviewed and approved, with one correction: the meeting Mindy recorded was the 5th, not the 12th. Mindy will enter minutes from 05 October 2013.
- Old business:
- Matters arising from minutes:
- Project updates:
- Health and safety concerns and updates: none noted.
- New business: none
- Review arrivals/departures, guests and apprentices:
- Landis arriving some time today, will stay overnight, possibly longer.
- Cleome leaving on the 13:50 ferry tomorrow.
- Chris to stay as Mindy's guest Nov 1-5. She will find work for him to do.
- Ron would like a guest Nov 1. Mindy will help organize a place for her to stay.
- Cleome here next for three-day weekend, Nov 8 or 9.
- Jan to Cleome US Thanksgiving Weekend, Nov 27-Dec 2.
- Mindy to leave on or before December 1, but can re-enter, probably within the following week.
- Jan & Cleome to Michigan, Dec 27-31.
- Farm meeting:
- Winter gardening desires: kale, collards, sweet onions (for spring starts), mescluns, raab broccoli, spinach, mache.
- Items to track (rough priority order):
- Move chickens.
- Make tomato sauce from last of tomatoes.
- Juice last of cukes.
- Harvest last of basil and turn into pesto.
- Prep area and plant garlic.
- Take out cukes after last harvest, probably in one week.
- Inventory our seed collection and start to think about orders.
- Get fuel for tractor and clean fuel filter.
- Get at least one chain saw working and continue harvesting wood.
- Clean up classroom and cloakroom.
- Clean up farm store area in prep for construction.
- Empty freezer in farm store, feed to chickens.
- Harvest pumpkins after first frost.
- Harvest rose hips after first hard frost.
- Continue monitoring the big pear tree and pick when it begins to really fall.
- Harvest potatoes from cages, and set up two cages in greenhouse for pear storage.
- Replace water timer in west room of greenhouse.
- Jan contact Gavin about putting manure on fields he leases from us.
- Pull up and store field irrigation in prep for winter cover crops.
- Get cedar slabs and bark from Shane for projects and path mulch.
- Prep area and plant garden in greenhouse, probably where the cukes are, as they will be the first out.
- Put a second tarp on hay barn; tarp the sides.
- Build bigger planters for Physalis. Shoot for 8' to 9', depending on what we can get from Shane.
- Chipping -- Jan check mill for cedar bark for prop room floor. (Jan Steinman)
- Jan and others: re-arrange the greenhouse tables.
- Complete irrigation plumbing in greenhouse after locating and levelling tables. In process as tables are positioned and levelled.
- Fix sickle bar and do mowing.
- Need to move the glass canning jars out of the Yellow House parking lot before they get broken.
- Find a place to put jars!
- Investigate using small greenhouse as a food dehydrator.
- Cane berries, moving to west fence of west garden -- wait for fall dormancy.
- Fix big rototiller -- won't run for more than a minutes or so; investigate fuel blockage -- back burner, winter project.
- Jan: begin making horsetail/nettle tea to keep powdery mildew and other fungus down. -- back burner for when humidity increases.
- Some tomatoes are starting to show mildew.
- Tracked items recently completed:
- Confirmed next meeting: Next residents' meeting: Jan facilitator, Saturday, 2 November 2013, 10:00.
- Meeting adjourned, 11:21
- Respectfully submitted, Jan Steinman 21:15, 26 October 2013 (CEST)
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus