other meetings this year
- Meeting starts 09:08
- Agenda approved.
- Minutes of two meetings ago, 28 September 2013, reviewed and approved. Mindy will email minutes from 5 October 2013 to Jan for entry.
- Old business:
- Matters arising from minutes:
- Meeting time: Rudy forgot it had moved to 10. Next two meetings at 10, then possibly move to 9 when milking moves to 7:30 due to daylight savings time.
- Project updates:
- Health and safety concerns and updates: none noted.
- Matters arising from minutes:
- New business: none
- Review arrivals/departures, guests and apprentices:
- Cleome arriving on the 17:35 ferry next Friday.
- Mindy returned yesterday after CIC delays. (YAY!)
- Mindy to leave on or before December 1, but can re-enter, probably within the following week.
- General discussion about the people Rudy has been hosting, noting that they are not considered EcoReality volunteers, unless they fill out a volunteer application and sign a volunteer agreement.
- Farm meeting:
- Winter gardening desires: kale, collards, sweet onions (for spring starts), mescluns, raab broccoli, spinach, mache.
- Items to track (rough priority order):
- Take out cukes after last harvest, probably in one week.
- Inventory our seed collection and start to think about orders.
- Get fuel for tractor and clean fuel filter.
- Get at least one chain saw working and continue harvesting wood.
- Harvest pumpkins after first frost.
- Continue monitoring the big pear tree and pick when it begins to really fall.
- Harvest potatoes from cages, and set up two cages in greenhouse for pear storage.
- Replace water timer in west room of greenhouse.
- Jan contact Gavin about putting manure on fields he leases from us.
- Pull up and store field irrigation in prep for winter cover crops.
- Get cedar slabs and bark from Shane for projects and path mulch.
- Prep area and plant garden in greenhouse, probably where the cukes are, as they will be the first out.
- Put a second tarp on hay barn; tarp the sides.
- Build bigger planters for Physalis. Shoot for 8' to 9', depending on what we can get from Shane.
- Chipping -- Jan check mill for cedar bark for prop room floor. (Jan Steinman)
- Jan and others: re-arrange the greenhouse tables.
- Complete irrigation plumbing in greenhouse after locating and levelling tables. In process as tables are positioned and levelled.
- Fix sickle bar and do mowing.
- Need to move the glass canning jars out of the Yellow House parking lot before they get broken.
- Find a place to put jars!
- Investigate using small greenhouse as a food dehydrator.
- Cane berries, moving to west fence of west garden -- wait for fall dormancy.
- Fix big rototiller -- won't run for more than a minutes or so; investigate fuel blockage -- back burner, winter project.
- Jan: begin making horsetail/nettle tea to keep powdery mildew and other fungus down. -- back burner for when humidity increases.
- Some tomatoes are starting to show mildew.
- Tracked items recently completed:
- Rudy to contact Clay about the dryers and juicer left in the packing shed. Jan & Mindy to support Rudy in packing shed clean-up. DONE!
- Contact our retailers and see what they would like from a winter garden. DONE!
- Mindy reports retailers are interested in chard and small greens, but not collards.
- Jan will bring sickle bar part on his trip to Washington (6th). DONE!
- Confirmed next meeting: Next residents' meeting: Jan facilitator, Saturday, 26 October 2013, 10:00.
- Meeting adjourned, 10:02
- Respectfully submitted, Jan Steinman 21:38, 19 October 2013 (CEST)
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus