Minutes:20121128

From MediaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search


For guidelines on the editing of minutes, please see the page on the responsibilities of the recorder.

  1. Meeting starts 09:00
  2. Check-in
  3. Agenda approved.
  4. Minutes of previous meeting, 21 November, reviewed and approved.
  5. Old business:
    1. Matters arising from minutes, and other free-ranging old business:
      • What is the status of firewood swap for pressure washer? Jan will follow-up.
      • Vanagon fuel tank has been pressure-washed, and is ready for re-installation.
      • White House electrical: all paid for October except Scout, to be taken from her deposit along with November electrical. Jennifer moved into Scout's room (West) and vouched for the cleanliness. Penny is moving into Jennifer's room (East). Ben, Emerick and boys staying put.
      • Jan still working on next year's budget. Ben will submit November time sheet before Thursday evening, and will work on some budget numbers while away.
    2. To do list not reviewed. Ben noted that several items could be checked off.
    3. Calendar: not reviewed
    4. Project updates:
      1. Community farm store:
        • need to commit some of our current savings to materials. Continue to salvage materials.
      2. Upcoming classes and events:
        • Cider making workshop on Sunday, 16 December.
          • Jan will start publicity.
          • Ben sees a chance to market the pears to workshop participants. Jan notes that unsold pears will not be wasted, but fed to goats.
          • Will provide a bottle of 2011 perry to paid participants.
      3. Recruiting:
        • Organic farmer from India has contacted us about becoming a working and investment partner. Jan has replied.
      4. Goat shed II:
        • Carol sewed canvas for gutter between shed and tent. Project essentially complete; remove from "Project updates."
      5. Commercial propagation greenhouse:
        • to allow more space, remove last two tables from project -- they can be used elsewhere. Declare project complete and close books on it by end of year.
      6. Emergency power: no change
      7. Yellow house suite:
        • discussed partitioning the project, so that the bedroom/closet can be completed sooner, with the more expensive part (kitchen, plumbing, electrical, appliances) to be completed later. This would allow us to house guests and volunteers with more privacy, at much lower cost than completing the entire suite.
      8. Water system: no change
  6. Health & safety: nothing noted.
  7. New business: none noted
  8. Review arrivals/departures, guests and apprentices:
    1. Karen will move into the Yellow House downstairs "big room" Saturday morning, and will move into the finished room as soon as San is out. Jan will take Bubba to Lions with her Saturday morning to find a dresser and desk.
    2. Ben leaving Thursday evening for Kelowna; will be back Monday evening.
    3. James and Alex leaving Saturday.
    4. Kaleigh Barton finishing term December 13, and will be between here and Port Alberni from the 14th through January 2nd.
  9. Farm meeting.
    1. Goats are nibbling on strawberries in East Field, and have been damaging Rudy's fencing. Rudy will put more stakes in. Perhaps we can run a strand of electric along the bottom.
    2. Chickens could go in greenhouse any time, but it is very wet in there. Agreed that it would be better to rotate them through there a few weeks before direct planting next spring.
    3. Can start cuttings any time since the recent hard frosts have forced dormancy. Jan will do some research, Ben will work on them when he returns.
    4. Ben has some potting blocks prepared; Jan will pick out some medicinals for starting.
    5. Do we want to heat an area of the greenhouse this winter? Probably not until mid-February. Until then, we might heat the little greenhouse, or simply do some starts inside either of the houses.
    6. Discussion about experience using soil blocks. Many things are not suitable to "blocking up." Many go to field directly from micro blocks (lettuce) or from large blocks. One of the larger blockers should have the micro-block dibbles changed out for seed dibbles.
    7. Saturday Christmas season markets: we have leeks, squash, and value-added items. Jan will lead with Ben's support.
    8. Zukiana is apparently not up for the job of breeding the older does, although he may have bred Taara. Jan will look into obtaining buck service.
    9. Options for long-term housing for Zuikana discussed, possibly the north corner of the East Field (near end of driveway). He would have shade and some browse there. Need to fence very strongly, possibly with added electric, since his getting into the garden would be disastrous.
    10. A Vancouver Island Health Authority Health Officer left his card at the Yellow House door, marked "Call me." Jan has contacted an attorney experienced in raw milk issues.
  10. Confirmed next meeting: Next residents' meeting: Wednesday, Jan facilitator, 5 December 2012, 09:00.
  • Meeting adjourned, 10:06.
  • Respectfully submitted, Jan Steinman 22:33, 28 November 2012 (CET)

Share your opinion


blog comments powered by Disqus
Personal tools
Get our newsletter!
Name:
Email Address:

disturbance
entry points
help (off site)
Environmental jobs, green volunteering, good work! Powered by the wind! This server and other
EcoReality operations
are 100% wind powered.
Powered by Mac OS X Powered by Mac MediaWiki Powered by MariaDB Powered by Valentina Studio Pro