other meetings this year
Friday, 22 May 2009, Teleconference
|<--previous teleconference meeting||next teleconference meeting-->|
Teleconference brought to order at 19:03
- Susie Anne Bartsch, James Cowan, Shannon Cowan, Dennis Lucarelli, Penny Pobiecke, Justin Roller, Osha Roller, Jan Steinman, Mark Stiffler, Carol Wagner.
- Check in
- Participants are mostly at a high level of presence; Justin is very ill.
- Approve/modify agenda
- Mark requested that Item #8 (provisional members) be separated into two items, time requirement, and special resolution.
- No objections, agenda with Mark's modification approved.
- Last teleconference minutes approved.
- For education: a helpful guideline to Wiki editing -Mark (2)
- Please put comments on discussion tab of Minutes pages, rather than on the page itself. Or contact the recorder.
- Request for investment shares for expenses and labour for utility room shelving in the yellow house — Carol Wagner. (8)
- question on clarity on shares, why Class A
- Jan: Class A shares are for cash investments on new stuff; Class B shares are for capital labour or used artifacts.
- Justin: seems expensive
- Jan: agreed, but expedient; this is a lot of shelving, price is from Home Depot, which we assume is competitive. Cheaper alternatives would require much more labour, in short supply.
- Penny: why do this quickly?
- Jan: slower would be better, but this has been discussed for nearly a year, many labour-intensive projects are coming, need to have installed before harvest/canning season.
- AGREED: 2152 shelving project approved.
- Communication model for EcoReality - round one discussion, not yet at Request stage Shan 23:58, 10 May 2009 (UTC).
- Discussion of EcoReality Communication model possibilities proposed outcomes -Shan 06:02, 21 May 2009 (UTC)(10)
- Next discussion on this (May 31 Members Meeting) -Shan 06:02, 21 May 2009 (UTC) (2)
- Jan: thanks for working on this, Shannon!
- James: arose out of frustration over recent email discussions; need for common communication vocabulary
- Mark: looking forward to balance between existing communications models and making our own.
- Jan: reminder that we have the beginning of a model on our process and communication guidelines page
- Shannon: this also has desired outcome of promoting emotional maturity
- Mark: our process and communication guidelines page focuses on conflict, need to extend into non-conflict communications as well
- Dennis: in favour of trying out, or at least hearing examples and details about, some of the suggested communication models, in a real-time group meeting, as part of the process of evaluating which approach we might eventually adopt.
- Intro and Discussion: Group Process Team plan and primary topics: -Shan 06:02, 21 May 2009 (UTC) (3)
- 'Process' sessions on community Governance topics: a) Consensus and b) Stewards - presented by Mark (5)
- Discussion of proposed 'Process' sessions (above) (8)
- Mark/Shannon: there exists differing views on processes in governance; existing "culture" of EcoReality not getting shared effectively. Besides improved new member orientation process, a special meeting for building accord and understanding will take place on Saturday, 30 May, at 13:30 — 15:30, focusing on two aspects of governance, a) consensus, and b) stewardship.
- Justin: (reflected on meaning of "EcoReality culture")
- Jan: would like people to read Swarm Savy beforehand for some ideas on natural consensus processes
- Discussion and request that the time requirement for Provisional_members be increased to six months of contact time, rather than six months of clock time. This six months is to take place within one year, unless agreed otherwise. Also, that provisional membership require a special resolution to end, so that all members must approve the ending of provisional membership. Currently, unless a meeting is held and consensus to block full membership passes, provisional members "age" into full membership automatically. This change will not affect any current full member. — Jan 10:03, 20 May 2009 (UTC) (10)}}
- Jan: without any slight to our current off-site members intended, the current provisional member policy is a mistake. The purpose of being a member is to live in an ecovillage, and we need a provisional member policy that includes a lengthy period of residency.
- James: hackles up over implication that current off-site members are a "mistake"
- Jan: I love, respect, and admire our off-site members, but many problems we're having would not occur if we were all living together. Current off-site members are not a mistake, but the policy is, and must be changed.
- (Jan and Carol cut off abruptly at 19:59.)
- Feedback - Roses and Suggestions
- (Jan and Carol re-connected via James's ingenuity and two speaker phones, at 20:02.)
- Verify next teleconference date, time, facilitator, and recorder
- Friday, 5 June, 19:00—20:00, Susie Anne facilitating, Shannon recording.
- Check out
- James: asks for more preparation on agenda items with links so clarifying questions can be asked before meeting
- Meeting adjourned at 20:07
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus