Minutes:20090517

From MediaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search


For guidelines on the editing of minutes, please see the page on the responsibilities of the recorder.

Sunday, 17 May 2009, Residents' Meeting

<--previous residents meetingnext residents meeting-->

Present: Jan Steinman, Carol Wagner, James Cowan, Shannon Cowan

  • Facilitator: Carol
  • Recorder: Shannon
  • Meeting starts 7:10 pm

Carol: 9 enjoyed long day, up early, tired

Jan: 8.5 allergies and headache, present

James: 9 tried nap, tired, feels loved, listened to

Shannon: 10 inspired, feels loved and loving, present

  • Approved last rez meeting’s minutes.
  • Request reimbursement from farm budget for irrigation parts: $16.76 —Jan Steinman.
    • Jan agreed to take this to Farm steward instead of Rez or membership as part of approved farm budget (under maintenance)
  • Please sah, can I have some mow? — James Cowan
    • Discussed Rudy continuing to mow minimal semicircle for Qi Gong practice. Will harvest dried clippings for compost heaps (ask Carol which one).
    • Shannon commented about scything garlic rows (between) and Jan and James both offered to help in few weeks to sharpen blades and do this together to help Shannon.
  • Pipe Finding – James will cost out three companies (off island) that charge out to come and do the service of underground pipe finding for the lines in the lawn area and the waterline to Reid Ck
  • Discussion on topic of irrigation of main garden, berries
    • Soaker hoses for entire garden area should be feasible using “y” connectors that Carol has found and the 4-way that J&S have.
    • Berries can be set up using soaker hoses. If not enough hoses and “y” fittings, farm budget will purchase more.
    • ACTION: [x] Carol Wagner and Shannon Cowan to measure existing hoses and parts, to determine needs for the design of this year’s garden area incl berries, and communicate with Jan and/or go buy what is missing to set up full irrigation system this week – he needs to know if we can use 300 ft of soaker hose in 6 foot sections (available online). Carol and Shannon will determine a plan and budget for remaining irrigation pieces needed. If for some reason it exceeds the approved farm budget, will bring request for funds forward to membership. (Carol Wagner)
  • Discussion of Garlic Field irrigation plan:
    • Irrigating garlic – there is a spray head missing so Jan’s suggestion is to buy fittings and cap off. This will be part of the plan Carol and Shannon put together.
    • Testing system for Gavin’s hay and garlic field requires valve tool (James to call Nolan and or Chris Magnus) and need to deal with the broken lawn pipe spot in berries (if pressurizing the lawn). Two punctures need to be stopped up.
      • Shannon to ensure that there will be onsite helpers when pressurizing the whole system if/when Gavin is ready to do so. Shannon will communicate with all rez when this is to happen.
      • ACTION: [x] Shannon Cowan will coordinate with Gavin and inform rez of timing and requirements for irrigation test and hay request. Shannon to tell him Jan is willing to help with electrical repair to trailer. (Shannon Cowan)
  • Well water discussion:
    • Spaceship – should we extend pipe? James asked and discussion concluded there was not enough justification to do so at this time.
    • ACTION: [x] James Cowan continue to research pipe finding service to answer our questions about all of the outflows, including the white one emerging at end of strawberry row. (James Cowan)
    • Carol and Jan both expressed they want to help with shopping for parts once they are identified.
  • Hay Discussion: We’d like Gavin to cut hay in EcoReality’s portion of the 10 acre field and the lower portion of the Garlic field.
    • ACTION: [x] Shannon Cowan will coordinate with Gavin and inform rez of timing and requirements for irrigation test and hay request. Shannon to tell him Jan is willing to help with electrical repair to trailer. (Shannon Cowan)
  • Classroom rental FYI - July 12th - "It's About Time" workshop (see http://www.coachinglife.ca/coaching-workshops.html) for $90 (9 hrs) . Hosted by Dharm Atma Yoga. Instructor - Tim Stringer (has insurance) Shan 03:16, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
    • Agreed that Tim Stringer is working as a teacher for Dharm Atma for this event. Dharm Atma will do all hosting for classroom and ensure payment ($90 for 8 hours plus 30 mins each for setup and takedown time = 9 hr total) is paid for rent.
    • Carol informed us Community Education using the classroom 9-3pm Friday the 22nd of May
  • Request to change white house Rez Potlucks to Wednesdays 6pm Shan 03:16, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
    • AGREED: Residents potluck has been switched from Thursday to Wednesdays on a regular basis (first Wed of the month will be ING potluck instead, for those wishing to attend, but no white house potluck that day)
  • Review Arrivals, Departures and Guests:
    • Jan shared that he thinks having people here is a sensitive topic and wants to be very clear they have extended to Dennis (the Dane) that 2 weeks is the guest time period for him = to be reviewed end of that period with all residents. Jan wanted to bring that up so that we are all understanding what is happening. Jan and Carol shared that they “never see him” and that he eats meals offsite. He is not even around on weekends.
    • ACTION: [x] Jan Steinman confirm time to work with Danish Dennis on the woodshed roof. Timing is critical for what was agreed with the authorities (mid month). (Jan Steinman)
    • Family from Alaska willing to come visit – no date (tbd)
    • Dennis Luccarelli arrives Thursday 28th
    • James away Tues to Sat 19th to 23rd.
    • SA to return May 25th. Morris to return with RV Jun 1.
    • James raised Manon’s nephew coming to WWOOF possibly. We discussed that this is probably only feasible as part of a larger crew for end of July garlic harvest.
  • ACTION: [x] Shannon Cowan will take bucket marked Morningside Bakery to Manon for regular coffee ground refilled. (Shannon Cowan)
  • Ad hoc: discussion about “You me and the SPP” event between James and Jan. Jan will make a poster – put it online. Jan commits to doing a press release and sending to Carol for SSI list.
    • ACTION: [x] Jan Steinman will make poster for You me and SPP film screening May 30th 7:30 pm and send press release to Carol for posting on SSI list and more. (Jan Steinman)
  • Facilitator next Resident’s meeting: Jan has volunteered to fill in for SA
  • Check out:

Jan – 9 Thankful that we are making these meetings work and likes working with four of us. Thankful that other topics (not business) are not necessarily stopping the need for these meetings.

Carol – 8.975 no roses or thorns. Grateful for good meeting.

James – rose- there were outstanding items he’s glad we got to this meeting. Feedback to minute taker that there could be much less recorded, especially if detracting for the meeting participation.

Shannon – 9.5 – tired from chocolate last night. Very grateful for feedback from James about minute taking improvements. Grateful for the learning that despite all the “things to do” it is “how we are while doing” that matters and feels willing to be aware and active and doing her best to keep in the flow and commitment to peaceful process. Grateful things are going so well in garden with communications with Carol.

  • Meeting ends: 8:12 pm

respectfully submitted - Shan 18:17, 18 May 2009 (UTC)

Share your opinion


blog comments powered by Disqus
Personal tools
Get our newsletter!
Name:
Email Address:

disturbance
entry points
help (off site)
Environmental jobs, green volunteering, good work! Powered by the wind! This server and other
EcoReality operations
are 100% wind powered.
Powered by Mac OS X Powered by Mac MediaWiki Powered by MariaDB Powered by Valentina Studio Pro