Minutes:20080126

From MediaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search


For guidelines on the editing of minutes, please see the page on the responsibilities of the recorder.

Saturday, 26 January 2008: Member's Meeting

  • Meeting brought to order: 9:32 am
  • Present: James Cowan, Shannon Cowan, Jan Steinman, Carol Wagner.
  • Facilitator: Jan
  • Recorder: Carol
  • Check in
    • Shannon: 9
    • Carol: 9
    • Jan: 9
    • James: 10
    • Agenda approved
  • Old business
    • December minutes approved
    • Finance report - Combined balances - $2616.00
      • Finance report approved
    • Time sheets - Shannon e-mailed hers, James said he would turn his in. Carol & Jan have theirs.
    • Open action items
      • Jan has updated the list
      • further action deferred
  • New business
    • Co-op Goals Discussion
      • James and Shannon ready to make changes as early as September 2008 or January 2009. Shannon wants to be on a large scale farm, farming & teaching. Her vision is to see EcoReality through its goals. Our mission should be on membership. Our personal lives can be a barrier or we can work together. Wants to see more members and the larger piece of land to grow.
      • Carol - feeling like we are stagnant here and wanting to move forward.
      • Jan - this maybe not the time to move. We need to query people about why they are not coming back. Maybe wait for people to be more scared about the world climate. Scarcity is coming.
      • Carol - maybe we need a membership protocol
      • James - we need a bigger piece of property to encourage membership
      • Shannon - Programs would be a distraction to looking for more members. She queried friends & family and basically they said, "If you had space for us, or more land, we would have seriously considered joining EcoReality before now."
      • Jan - we need to have a plan with steps to a grander goal.
      • Shannon - Where are our priorities? Logistics are a restriction.
      • AGREED: James & Shannon being separate needs to change to be a real community. The four of us need to live together.
        • Two possibilities:
          • Move James & Shannon to Sharp Road with a long term goal of finding a bigger property,
          • or move to Sharp Road with a very short term goal of moving to a bigger property.
    • 11:20 Ten-minute stretch break - yoga led by Shannon
    • Schedules: travel, vidconf, potlucks, visitors, etc.
      • Diana Leafe Christian's upcoming visit 25-29 February
      • James & Shannon here 20 or 21 - 25 February, will just miss Diana. Shannon attending the Certified Organic Organization of BC Conference in Sidney on 29 February.
    • James unable to do Feb 8th vidconf; we will re-schedule, or Shannon will represent him.
      • ACTION: [x] Jan will help James & Shannon setup ICal so that we can share calenders. (Jan Steinman)
      • AGREED: Movie night and potluck night to be merged into Saturday night.
        • ACTION: [x] Jan will send out a notice that movie night and potlucks will be held on the same night - Saturday and start at 5:30 pm. (Jan Steinman)
    • Profit & Loss Management Statement presented. Under the site lease agreed last May, Jan & Carol are leasing the entire facility at 160 Sharp Road, assuming all expenses and taking all income, tracking their time, and splitting any excess income over $15 per hour with the co-op.
      • Bottom line: net income (profit) from this activity from May 1 through Dec 31, 2007, was $1866.26, with Carol working 422 hours and Jan working 678 hours, less 160 hours of community time, for a total working rate of $1.99 per hour. ($1866.26 / (422 + 678 - 160)) This is below $15/hr, and so the leaseholders do not owe the co-op a share of the profit.
      • Discussion: what about rooster income? What about co-op time contribution? What about apportioning utilities to visitors & WWOOFers? What about certain capital projects?
        • roosters sold in 2008 -- not part of this accounting period
        • figures amended to exclude 10 hours per month per person of co-op time contribution
        • utility expenses are not easily correlated with visitors as food is, Jan & Carol will "eat" the utilities for now.
        • Class A shares should be given for expenses on capital projects, rather than listing them as expenses. The only one identified is the greenhouse deck, which will be corrected. Taking this out of the expenses will still not yield more than $15/hour for Jan & Carol's labour.
      • AGREED: members accepted the Profit & Loss Management Statement
    • Room Change - It was requested that James and Shannon move their dedicated room from the back (gallery) room to the other front bedroom.
      • AGREED: James & Shannon will use the front bedroom as their permanent space and free up the gallery. The gallery can then be used as temporary guest space and other temporary uses.
    • 2008 Farm Plan agenda item deferred until video conference of 1 February. We will then brainstorm on the Farm Plan, led by Shannon.
  • Closing:
    • Next vidconf: Feb 1, Shannon facilitating
    • Next meeting: Feb 23, Jan facilitating, Carol recording
    • Check out:
      • Shannon - 9.5 - present, hungry, grateful about our talk, truthfulness
      • James - 10 - mind swimming with ideas, grateful for the discussion & space to share ideas.
      • Jan - 9.5 - grateful for the give & take
      • Carol - 9.5 - energized, hopeful of our future and possibilities
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:11

-- respectfully submitted, Carol Wagner 21:31, 26 January 2008 (PST)

Share your opinion


blog comments powered by Disqus
Personal tools
Get our newsletter!
Name:
Email Address:

disturbance
entry points
help (off site)
Environmental jobs, green volunteering, good work! Powered by the wind! This server and other
EcoReality operations
are 100% wind powered.
Powered by Mac OS X Powered by Mac MediaWiki Powered by MariaDB Powered by Valentina Studio Pro