Emergency power procedure
In the event of a BC Hydro power outage, the following actions must be performed in the following order to go on emergency power:
These instructions are for when the emergency power project is complete, which will supply emergency power to the well pump. Until completion of that project, ignore the steps that mention the pump house.
- Turn OFF the circuit breaker for the mains, at the bottom of the electrical panel, in both the white house and yellow house.
- Turn OFF all the breakers for heating appliances, including hot water heater, range, oven, dryer, and all baseboard heaters, except the dryer in the yellow house.
- These should be clearly marked in the electrical panel with labels identifying them as not to be used on emergency power.
- Limited high-current electrical power might be used one at a time, for example, one hot water heater or one burner on one range, but it requires an agreement among all electricity users to do so to avoid overloading the generator.
- In the yellow house laundry room, unplug the dryer, and plug in the appropriate cable from the emergency power junction box.
- In the pump house, plug the appropriate cable from the emergency power junction box into the 240 VAC outlet coming from the right side of the electrical panel.
- Plug the appropriate cable from the emergency power junction box into the generator.
- Start the generator.
- Make sure the main generator circuit breaker is ON and that the meter is reading 120 VAC.
- Monitor lights from other visible houses to see when BC Hydro power is back on.
- While running from the generator in this way, we cannot tell when the power comes back on by monitoring our own lights.
End of Power Outage
When BC Hydro power returns:
- Turn off the generator.
- Unplug the emergency power junction box from the generator.
- Unplug the emergency power junction box from the pump house,
- Unplug the emergency power junction box from the yellow house.
- In the yellow house, plug the clothes dryer back in.
- Turn ON the mains circuit breaker, at the bottom of the electrical panel, in both the white house and yellow house.
- Turn ON all the high-power breakers that had been turned OFF in Step #2, above.
- Re-fuel the generator, so it will be ready at the next power outage.
- Coil and put away the emergency power junction box and its cables, and cover the generator.
All breakers should be labelled and this should be posted at each electrical panel.
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus